Skype and Telephone Sessions
Andrew will begin to have a physical presence in Ottawa on a regular basis in mid-2016. Until then, he is available for sessions by phone, Skype, or Google Hangouts. Find out more here.
In-Person Sessions in Toronto
At this time, Andrew is available for in-person sessions in Toronto. He is conveniently located a 5-minute walk from the High Park subway station. Book a session.
Fees and Session Length
Fees are listed on the booking page. An initial session is 2 hours in length and aims to bring full realization of your goal where possible. Follow-on sessions are 1.5 hours.
If you’re not sure whether hypnotherapy is right for you, you can schedule a complementary 10 minute call with Andrew.
Preparation for your session
My address and directions will be emailed to you when you book a session.
It’s good to select an appointment time when you are:
- Well rested (good night’s sleep) and naturally (not from caffeine) high mental energy. If you are not well rested, the mind has more challenge in focusing and a more difficult time accessing positive perspectives.
- Not caffeinated. Avoid coffee two hours before a session. Caffeine activates the nervous system and the mind, which can work against the hypnosis, which is focused relaxation.
- Less stressed than at perhaps other times in your day or week. This makes it easier to relax. For people with a stressful day job during the week, a weekend late morning or afternoon is often an optimal time.
Approach and Philosophy for Sessions
As someone considering hypnotherapy as a solution, you may have a single issue you would like to address or you may have a long list of issues you’d like to work on.
Single Issue Clients
If you are someone who has a single issue that needs healing, we will get to work with the goal of bringing full resolution in your first session. Single issues can include nail biting, quitting smoking, losing weight, anxiety, insomnia, etc..
I will start by talking with you to identify underlying causes for the thoughts, feelings, or behaviors you are looking to resolve. Most issues we are addressing in hypnotherapy are a result of an old coping or protective mechanism, which at one time made sense, but is now outdated and unhelpful. It is often only through hypnosis that we come to an understanding of our experiences and challenges.
While classic hypnosis approaches often go to work immediately at overriding these mechanisms through giving the subconscious positive programming, this is akin to mowing the lawn to eliminate weeds — its only a matter of time before the energy stored in the root will push up new shoots and soon reestablish the presence of the offending pattern.
Identifying and healing the root emotional cause is the more holistic and sustainable approach. This is like pulling up the weed by its roots, eliminating any chance for revival. Once a root has been identified, we move forward in your first session to heal that root, followed by explaining to the subconscious that there is no more reason to continue the now-meaningless pattern. We then wrap up the session with visualizations of success or health in that area of your life extending into the future.
Multiple Issue Clients
If you are someone who has a list of issues that need healing, my first goals with you are to:
- Identify any limiting beliefs around your ability to heal and respond by teaching you about how we can heal with hypnotherapy
- Get you immediate relief by working on the deepest core issue that you are willing to work on. These is typically done by bringing healing to major painful themes and painful events from your past. Often multiple issues are interrelated and by working at the core issues, other issues disappear.
It’s always interesting to see where the movement occurs after a first session such as this. Some issues are easily healed or shifted, while others can require more focused time and attention in follow-on sessions.
While I generally recommend sessions be spaced 1-2 weeks apart, the timing is ultimately up to you. The content we focus on each time is determined through discussion and agreement.
Here is my outline of steps that I generally take with multiple-issue clients:
- Examine the list of symptoms in want of healing, and tie them to core themes/issues.
- Conduct a general first session addressing all core issues we are aware of at this time.
- Evaluate efficacy of session, through (a) your feedback to me of your subjective experience, and (b) you observing yourself over the days following the session and then sharing with me what symptoms were alleviated, and which symptoms remain.
- Discuss and decide whether additional session work is wanted (up to you based on your urgency in addressing remaining issues) and likely to be helpful (based on the success in changing symptoms as a result of the first session).
- Either conduct an additional focused session, or end course of treatment.
After each session, we would return to Step 3, evaluating success, and then Step 4, determining if further work is wanted and likely to be helpful.